Having a motoring conviction can make finding motor insurance difficult, but not altogether impossible. It may be tempting to drive without insuring your vehicle, to avoid the hassle of finding insurance, but this can result in a further conviction, making an already bad situation even worse.

While searching for insurance can be time consuming, it is a legal requirement for driving on UK roads, so you may want to bear the following in mind:

Declare Your Convictions

When obtaining a quote, you will need to declare your convictions. Convictions, also known as endorsements or penalty points, stay on your driving record for 4 or 11 years depending on the offence. This can start from either the date you’re convicted or the date of your offence.[1] It might be tempting to hide convictions to reduce your premium, but not declaring convictions invalidates your insurance, and this is essentially like driving without cover.

Shop Around

Don’t settle for the first quote you receive. Some insurance companies offer more competitive rates than others and some are more open to insuring drivers with convictions. It’s always worth getting a few quotes for comparison, not just from a cost perspective but to ensure you get the best cover for your particular situation.

Complete a SORN

If your vehicle cannot be driven, and is off the road, you don’t need to insure it. However, you do need to inform the DVLA by completing and submitting a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN). You can access their online form here.

Our friendly and caring team at Lifesure can take the stress out of finding convicted driver cover. We work with a panel of leading UK insurers and can quickly source convicted driver motor insurance policies to best meet your needs, based on the information you give us.

We can help those with drink driving and other convictions such as:

DR10 Driving or attempting to drive with alcohol concentration above limit

DR20 Driving or attempting to drive when unfit through drink

•DR30 Driving or attempting to drive, then refusing to provide a specimen

DR40 In charge of a vehicle with alcohol concentration above limit

DR50 In charge of a vehicle while unfit through drink

DR70 Failing to provide specimen for breath test

IN10 Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks

So why not give us a call on 01480 402 460 today, and we can help you to get you back on the road!

[1] Information on penalty points (endorsements) obtained from https://www.gov.uk/penalty-poi...

Useful articles

Take a look at our latest news and guides.

Read articles

Car insurance