Is Your Park Home Going To Be Unoccupied?

Is Your Park Home Going To Be Unoccupied?

Posted on November 26, 2013 by

Lamp in box on tableSometimes the lure of warmer weather abroad can be almost too much, especially when it is cold, dark and wet here.  Many people now take the opportunity to travel abroad at this time of year whether it be on a cruise or a couple of months in the Canary Islands.

Of course there are other valid reasons why a home might be empty – waiting for a sale to complete, awaiting probate, an extended hospital stay, or perhaps someone moving to a care home, house renovations etc.

Did you know that if your home were unoccupied you would most likely need to take out a different type of insurance cover to that of your normal home insurance policy?  Most home insurance policies include clauses specifying that your home cannot be left for more than between 30 and 60 days in a row, and some how much time over a year you cannot leave it empty for.

Many people do not realise this, after all, how many people read the small print on their policies and do not inform their home insurance provider that they will be away – but the policy will become invalid and therefore will not pay out should something happen.

Most companies will ‘allow’ you to pay an additional premium, usually quite large, to amend your policy to cover long absences away from home.  However this might not be the most cost effective solution and a specialist policy from us may be a better solution.

As the property is empty, the premiums will be higher than those for an occupied home, to take into consideration the extra risks and there will be conditions attached, but it is still cost effective and a better option than having no insurance at all or the wrong insurance.

You may be surprised to hear that the insurance covers things like theft and attempted theft on the property because that is going to be the biggest risk, but we include it as standard.  There is no point in having a policy that doesn’t cover you for some of the most likely incidents.  So if you decide to extend your current policy, rather than buying a specialised policy, make sure you know exactly what you are covered for.

This is also something that another member of the family can take out on your behalf should the need arise.

To read more about what the Lifesure unoccupied homes policy includes go to our web page, or call our team on 01480 402475 for a chat.  Remember that we work hard to source the right policies for our customers saving you time and money.