Quality cover for when you need it most
Horseboxes are specialised vehicles especially bearing in mind the precious cargo that they carry. As a result they need specialist insurance.
Our horsebox policy includes up to £20 million public liability cover and a low mileage discount.
“Representative of company was very helpful, making sure I got the specific insurance and breakdown cover I needed. He was very polite and took time to make sure I was happy and satisfied with my purchase”
Feefo independent feedback
- Unlimited indemnity in respect of any claims by a third party for personal injury
- £20 million public liability cover*
- Loss of or damage to your horsebox caused by fire, theft or attempted theft
- Loss of or damage to your horsebox caused by accidental damage, malicious damage or vandalism (comprehensive policy only)
- Unlimited audio cover for permanently fitted equipment or a maximum of £500 if non-standard equipment
- Sat nav cover, up to a maximum of £500
- Windscreen / glass cover, up to a maximum of £500 (comprehensive policy only and subject to a compulsory excess)
- Replacement keys and locks, up to a maximum of 10% of the vehicle value, up to a limit of £750 (comprehensive policy only)
- Foreign travel for up to 30 days
- Additional discount available for mileage under 3,000 per annum
- Legal expenses insurance is an optional component of our horsebox insurance and arranged on our behalf by Soter Professional Services for £28. If you choose not to include “legal expenses insurance” from the policy, you will not receive the following benefits.
- Support of our legal team if you suffer an injury as a result of an accident that wasn’t your fault, as well as use of our partner solicitors who specialise in personal injury claims on a ‘no win no fee’ agreement
- Uninsured loss recovery for lost earnings, travel expenses, excess costs in a non fault accident
- Third party legal expenses protection up to £100,000
- Full personal injury cover for drivers and all occupants of the vehicle
- Enhanced motor prosecution defence
* Public liability cover reduced to £5 million if a vehicle with a gross weight of more than 5 tonnes causes the damage
As with any insurance policy there are a few exclusions to the policy:
- Excluded drivers and excluded use, including drivers who do not have a driving licence or are disqualified from holding or getting a licence; and using the vehicle for purposes that are not shown on your certificate of motor insurance.
- Deterioration or wear and tear
- Loss or damage whilst your vehicle is not adequately secured
- Loss or damage to any trailer or caravan whether attached to or detached from your vehicle
Please see the policy booklet for the full list of exclusions.
Please note that regrettably we are unable to offer quotes to residents of Northern Ireland.
Key protection cover is an optional extra that can be added on to your insurance.
Many insurance policies include key protection, but the advantages of this product include:
- 24/7 emergency helpline
- No excess to pay
- You won’t lose any no claims bonus accrued through your main policy
- It won’t count as a claim against your insurance
- All keys on the fob are included whether they be car, home, caravan or motorhome etc.
- Larger maximum claim limit of £1,500. Most policies are capped at around £500
For full details about the cover, please visit our key protection page.
Breakdown cover for horseboxes is also available to purchase from £199.
- Home start including up to 1 hour’s labour
- Roadside assistance including up to 1 hour’s labour
- Recovery of the horsebox to the nearest garage
- Up to 6 recoveries / call outs within your annual policy
- Cover for any driver of the horsebox (with owner’s permission)
- Stabling costs
If you would like more details, including the option to buy, please click here.
Sample documents for our motorised horsebox policy can be downloaded here.
Please note: We use a number of insurers to quote for various risks and depending on the individual risk, cover may vary. The sample policy wordings shown are only an indication of cover that may be available.
To receive a copy of the exact policy wording applicable to your individual risk, please contact us on 01480 504067.
We have a library full of articles and practical advice that we have written for our customers on a variety of topics including motoring safety and tips on saving money.
The motoring advice library can be accessed here.
How do I prove my No Claim Discount (NCD)?
You will need to supply us with the latest renewal notice from your current insurer or a letter on their headed paper confirming the number of years discount you have. The letter will also need to include your name, the policy number and policy expiry date.
Without the proof from your previous insurer, it is likely that the premium quoted will increase.
Can I add a temporary driver to my policy?
Generally yes, but it is possible that the addition will incur an increase in your premium. Please telephone us with the details of the person including their full name, date of birth, occupation, type of driving licence held and information about any convictions or claims made.
Do I need to tell you if any of my details have changed?
Yes, we need to be informed about any change to your personal details or your circumstances. Please call us on 01480 504067.
I’ve been convicted of a minor speeding offence; do I need to let you know?
Any change, however minor it may seem, should be reported to us. Not all offences will result in an increase of premium, but they need to be recorded on your file.
We would also need to be informed if you were involved in an accident whilst driving another vehicle.
I’m going on holiday in Europe; do I need to let you know?
Providing that the trip does not exceed the period limit in your policy, and is within the territorial limits of your policy, we do not need to be made aware of the journey. Our motorhome insurance policies automatically include a number of days for foreign travel; please consult your policy document for the details.
If however, your trip is of a longer duration or you are going to exceed the total number of days over more than one trip, then please call us to discuss extending your cover.
Do I need to inform you about modifications to my horsebox that I am considering?
If the modifications will increase the performance of your vehicle, then yes we need to be informed. Common modifications that we need to be aware of (but not limited to) include engine enhancements, changes to the exhaust system.
We also need to made aware of cosmetic changes to your vehicle including upgrading the spoilers, skirts and alloys, and also if you have lowered the suspension.
Can I drive other cars with my insurance?
Your Certificate of Insurance will state if you can drive other cars that do not belong to you. However you should be aware that the protection provided is the minimum cover as required under the Road Traffic Act (Third Party Only).
This cover does not normally extend to driving vans, motorcycles or HGV’s.