As the school holidays begin and the holiday season is full swing, TV Licensing have issued a reminder to static caravan and mobile home owners to check their TV licence is valid for their holiday accommodation. A number of holidaymakers may be using TVs in their caravans, unaware that they are not covered.

While touring caravans are covered by the owner’s home TV licence, those planning to watch live television programmes in their static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet will need to take care - this includes on laptops, tablet computers or any other mobile device. Live television is defined as watching programmes when they are scheduled for broadcast and will include dramas, soaps, news programmes and live sport. The owner’s home TV licence is only valid for use in these types of holiday accommodation when the home TV will never be used at the same time as that in the caravan. For example, if a family member is staying at home and will use the TV, a separate licence will be required for use in the holiday home. If the home television will not be used during the holiday, a declaration form must be filled in and returned to TV Licensing.

If you are renting a caravan or holiday home from a park, the park itself should have its own licence and therefore you will be covered under that.

TV Licensing decided to take action to raise awareness of the terms and conditions following a 25% increase in caravan holidays in May. With the penalties for watching TV without a valid licence currently set at a fine of up to £1,000 or prosecution, confirmation should be sought from TV Licensing if the holidaymaker is in any doubt.

Whilst static caravan insurance is not compulsory (unlike a TV Licence), it is always a good idea to protect your assets. Call our team on 01480 402460 for a free quote.

Useful articles

Take a look at our latest news and guides.

Read articles

Static caravan insurance